What is the Best Plant-Based Organic Omega 3 Supplement? Top Supplements for Vegans in 2020
If you’re trying to find ways to boost your health and improve your overall wellness as you adhere to a vegan diet, omega 3 supplements are an excellent way to accomplish this. Supplements can provide you with all the omega 3s your body needs, such as EPA and DHA, to support your eye health, brain health, and heart health.
While omega 3s famously come from fish, the good news for vegans is that you don’t have to resort to taking fish oil pills to get this essential nutrient. There are oils derived from algae that have similar levels of DHA and EPA, which allows you to get your omega 3 intake without having to consume fish products. It’s recommended that you get 500 mg of vegan omega 3 fatty acids per day in order to receive full benefits, and it’s easy to find great omega 3 supplements that are of high quality and are indeed vegan.
According to certain reports, it’s essential that vegans invest in omega 3 supplements. Really, these pills are highly recommended to everyone; it’s essential, no matter your type of diet, to get enough omega 3. The typical American diet already contains lots of omega 6, but it’s tough to get omega 3 from food.
There are three kinds of omega 3 fatty acids: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Each of these acids provide separate health benefits for your body. Nuts and seeds, which vegans get lots of, contain only ALA. This means that vegans benefit highly from investing in supplements that offer both EPA and DHA. Algae oil is a great source for both of these fatty acids, and it’s the natural, direct source of nutrients for fish–which means that you’re getting omega 3s directly from the source and can skip the fish middleman.
Top 5 Vegan Omega 3 Supplements
What Type of Health Benefits Does Omega 3 Offer?
Since vegans aren’t consuming fish and other types of seafood, they especially need to invest in omega 3 supplements, more than omnivores do. EPA and DHA in particular are responsible for some profound health benefits, including:
- Reducing the risk of developing heart disease
- Positively impacting brain health, structural integrity, and overall function; low levels of DHA in the brain have been shown to create cognitive impairment and small brain volume in individuals who are otherwise healthy
- Studies have shown that an increase in EPA consumption increases neural efficiency–reducing the effort your brain has to exert in relation to cognitive performance
- Offering potent anti-inflammatory effects; supplementation significantly reduces inflammatory biomarkers such as tumor necrosis factor a, interleukin 6, and C-reactive protein
- Both DHA and EPA are essential for proper fetal development and are highly recommended as supplementation during pregnancy, as this has been associated with several benefits for the infant, including immune, retinal, and neurological function and proper development
- There has been clinical evidence that suggests supplementation can help people who suffer from depression
Features to Look for In Vegan Omega 3 Supplements
As you browse your options, keep these features in mind:
- An algae-based supplement is most ideal. Fish get their omega 3 acids from eating algae, so supplements that are derived from algae oil have the exact same omega 3 benefits that fish-derived oils offer. In this way, you can ensure the fish have been cut out, yet you’re not risking a lower or low quality amount of omega 3s
- Formulas free from contaminants. Fish-derived oil tends to have pollutants, bioaccumulated toxins, and heavy metals. Keep an eye out for supplements that definitely don’t have these
- High potency of both DHA and EPA, as these are the two fatty acids you need to supplement your vegan diet
- Algae-sourced nutrients. Ensure your supplement was derived from algae, not fish; sometimes, marketing and labels can be misleading
- Facilities that adhere to GMP certified standards and third party testing. Supplements from these facilities and this testing ensures no biased testing and pure, high quality products
Avoid these features:
- Fish oil
- Gelatin, which many capsules contain
- Carrageenan, a vegan alternative to gelatin that is controversial, as some studies have suggested that it can cause inflammation and promote cancer
The Best Vegan Omega 3 Supplements List
① Ora Organic Vegan Omega-3 Supplement Spray
This unique spray from Ora Organic is completely sourced from algae and offers 600mg of DHA per serving, all without any fishy taste. For $40, you’ll get 30 servings per bottle that’s offered in a tasty orange flavor. The amount of omega 3 in each bottle is equivalent to six pounds of salmon, and is sustainably sourced from microalgae that’s farmed in fresh water and ensured to be free of any pollutants, heavy metals, PCBs, pesticides, or mercury. On top of that, Ora Organic’s spray is formulated with MCT oil from coconuts, which delivers nutrients to your brain and aids in bioavailability and absorption. Get your Omega 3 fix directly and conveniently–no fishy taste or hard to swallow pills. You’ll support your cognitive and memory function, brain health, eye health, and heart health, with no GMOs, soy, added sugars, or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Includes MCT oil to aid absorption and delivery
- Short, clean ingredient list
- Sourced from microalgae that’s free of heavy metals, mercury, or pollutants
- Spray does not last long; it’s recommended that you spray twelve times per day
- Expensive investment
② Ovega-3 Plant Based Omega-3 Daily Supplement
Ovega-3’s plant based omega 3 supplement provides 500mg of omega 3s in each serving, with 270mg of DHA and 135mg of EPA, to support your eye, brain, heart, and overall health. The supplement is completely vegan friendly and its omega 3s are derived from a natural plant source, algae, so there’s no unfortunate fishy aftertaste to worry about. You can get the support you need for your heart health in just one softgel each day, which are easy to swallow. Since the omega 3 is plant based, you don’t have to worry about a lot of the impurities that often come in fish-based supplements, such as ocean-borne toxins and pollutants. Ovega-3 provides sustainable, high quality omega 3 that offers five times the whole-health support per serving than krill oil, and its DHA and EPA isn’t found in chia seed oil or flax seed oil. On top of all this, Ovega-3 is made in the USA, sustainable, vegan friendly, and free of GMOs, lactose, soy, gluten, and sugars. Its algal oil also contains antioxidants, for an additional health boost.
- Provides both DHA and EPA
- Just one softgel a day and easy to swallow
- Contains antioxidants
- Ingredients include corn starch and caramel coloring
- Expensive investment, and price keeps rising
③ Doctors Scientific Organica Plant Based Omega 3 Algae Supplement
Doctors Scientific Organica has worked hard to provide you with this omega 3 supplement, which is sourced from algae and is completely plant-based. A purchase gives you 90 capsules, which contain 900mg of EPA and 700mg DHA, which support your heart, eye health, and encourages stress relief and weight loss as well. The algae provides a strong, potent source of omega 3s and is the original source of the nutrient, so you get all the benefits without needing to consume any fish oil. On top of this, the supplement is contaminant free and doesn’t contain any of the pollution contaminants, like PCB, you’d find in a traditional omega 3 supplement, and it’s sustainable. You can support your eye health and heart health without violating your vegan beliefs whatsoever. Made in the USA in a facility that’s both FDA and GMP certified, these supplements are also third party tested for purity and safety, and the packaging it comes in is eco-friendly.
- Very potent; high amount of DHA and EPA
- Contaminant free
- Made in a facility that is GMP and FDA certified
- Are not as transparent about their ingredient list as many other brands
- Labeling on the actual packaging does say “fish oil”
④ Nested Naturals Vegan Omega 3
Nested Naturals’ omega 3 is much better than traditional fish oil and completely vegan. With this purchase, you’ll get 60 capsules of EPA and DHA omega 3s that are derived from algae, and which support your brain, maintain cardiovascular health, and aid in eye health. The company is socially conscious and utilizes ingredients that are ethically produced. It also uses third parties to test every single batch to ensure quality and purity, and it offers a lifetime guarantee so you get your money back if you’re unsatisfied. The marine algae it uses is grown sustainably, on a farm, and isn’t harvested from the ocean like some other brands do. The omega 3 in the supplement is high quality and has high bioavailability. A single serving provides you with 300mg of both DHA and EPA. You’ll also get free radical protection, with included green tea extract, which offers antioxidants and maintains the chemical structure of the Omega 3. Just take one capsule a day with water to get cardiovascular support, eye health, and a boost to your brain.
- Includes green tea extract for antioxidants and to enhance the omega 3
- Lifetime guarantee
- Product is third party tested to ensure quality and purity
- Users disliked the smell of the capsules; have a fishy/ocean smell
- Tastes like fish as well, which was especially concerning to vegans
⑤ MaryRuth Organics Vegan Vitamin Omega 3-6-7-9 Gummies Supplement
These tasty, fun gummies from MaryRuth Organics provide you with not only omega 3s, but omega 6s, 7s, and 9s as well. They’re gluten free, non-GMO, sugar free, and are great for the entire family. A bottle will give you an impressive 120 gummies, which are completely vegan and organic. Not only do these delicious gummies give you the omega 3s you need, they’re great for any diet, as they’re low in calories and are completely sugar free. The flavor includes apricot, mango, and peach. The omega 7s this supplement includes comes from both organic sea berry (270mg per serving) and flax seed oil (450mg per serving). These gummies have been made in a facility that’s GMP compliant, and they’re free from gelatin, fish, GMOs, and artificial flavors or sweeteners. Operated and owned by a mother-daughter team, this company offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Fun, tasty way to get your omega 3s
- Offer a variety of omega nutrients
- Safe for children to consume
- Uses erythritol as a sweetener
- Many users did not like the taste
⑥ Freshfield Naturals Vegan Omega 3 DHA Supplement
This omega 3 supplement from Freshfield Naturals features vegan, pure DHA from algal oil, which boosts your brain, provides a healthier heart, supports your immune system, and boost your overall eye and joint health. You get everything you need to support your body with this supplement, which is free from any mercury and created in the USA, adhering to strict FDA standards. Since it’s fish free, it’s better both for you and the environment; it’s sustainable, reduces strain on fisheries, and there is no worry about any mercury included. With a purchase, you’ll get a two month supply and need to take just one capsule daily for more than 240mg of DHA and 500mg of omega 3. On top of improving eye health, heart health, and brain health, you can also use this supplement to fight depression and anxiety, reduce cholesterol, fight joint pain and arthritis, and find relief from migraines. Ingredients include algal oil, purified water, modified food starch, glycerin, carrageenan, and rosemary–no artificial preservatives, flavors, or sweeteners.
- Made in the USA and adheres to strict FDA standards
- Fights arthritis, depression, and migraines
- Two month supply, just one capsule a day
- The negative smell and taste of this supplement can be intense
- Smell of the pills gets on your hands and is difficult to wash away
⑦ Zenwise Health Vegan Omega 3 Supplement
ZenWise Health uses marine algal as its source for this vegan omega 3 supplement, which is a great source for both DHA and EPA fatty acids. The fish oil-free formula is great for both men and women, and you get 120 softgels with each purchase to boost the health of your brain, support your joint health and immune system, and boost your skin and heart. The omega 3 is truly vegan friendly, and is derived from Nannochloropsis sp. Marine algae, which naturally has high concentrations of both DHA and EPA and provides great results. The supplements feature a natural relief formula that is great to restore comfort, flexibility, and mobility in your hips, arms, legs, ankles, wrists, elbows, knees, and hands. It also supports the hydration and elasticity of your skin, and works as enhancement to your immunity, clarity, and focus, on top of offering the regular heart and eye health support. Zenwise Health is devoted to ensuring your wellness is seamless, and that you achieve health and happiness.
- Offers multiple benefits to your health
- High concentration of both DHA and EPA
- Features Nannochloropsis sp. Maine algae
- Not as transparent about their ingredients or potency as many other brands
- Does have a fishy aftertaste
⑧ Nordic Naturals Algae Omega Soft Gels
These soft gels from Nordic Naturals feature algae omega to support your heart health, eye health, and overall optimal wellness. It’s an ideal alternative to fish oil, since microalgae is the original source of marine omega 3s, and this product in particular has been certified by the American Vegetarian Association to be completely vegetarian and safe for vegans. Microalgae offers both DHA and EPA, and is an effective, safe, and pure source of both essential fatty acids. The supplement supports your immunity, mood, heart health, and vision, as well as your metabolism, respiratory function, and cardiovascular function. On top of being vegetarian certified, Nordic Naturals is also non-GMO verified and uses only ingredients that are completely free of GMOs. These soft gels are also dairy, gluten, and hexane free, with absolutely no fillers or artificial preservatives or colors. All ingredients are natural, sustainably sourced, and third party tested, as the company incorporates socially responsible and ethical practices.
- Pure, safe, and effective source of both EPA and DHA
- Certified to be non-GMO and vegetarian
- Third party tested
- Has a distinct and unpleasant fish order
- Contains carrageenan as an ingredient
⑨ Garden of Life Vegan DHA Supplement
Garden of Life’s omega 3 supplement is completely vegan and features DHA from minami algae, in 60 softgels to support your natural brain and eye function. It’s 64% concentrated, supports your general wellness, and was previously known as Minami VeganDHA but sports a new look and features the same high quality formula. The formula was meant for adults and is 100% vegan, with 500mg of DHA and 1.5mg of Astaxanthin per serving (two mini softgels each day), delivered in a clean orange flavor that has no aftertaste. Garden of Life utilizes whole foods that are completely traceable, so you can find the farm they were grown on, and features real foods that create high quality formulas. The Minami Algae Omega-3 supplement is made from Schizochytrium algae oil and was derived using CO2 extraction technology, which is a safe extraction method that doesn’t involve heat or hexane. There’s no saturated fat or artificial flavors, and the formula was designed with vegans specifically in mind. Take just two softgels per day to support your brain and eye health.
- 500mg of DHA and 1.5mg of Astaxanthin
- Derived using CO2 technology
- Designed for vegans specifically
- Not safe for children to consume
- Has a fishy taste and smell, and has an orange coating that comes off on your hands
⑩ Testa Omega 3 Algae Oil Omega-3 DHA+EPA
Testa aims to provide you with an omega 3 supplement that is much healthier than traditional fish oil, and uses algae oil to provide GMO-free omega 3 from both EPA and DHA, in 60 capsules that are completely vegan and pure. Each capsule has 125 mg EPA, 250 mg DHA, 450 mg omega 3, and 834 mg algae oil. You simply have to take one capsule a day to get support for your eyes, brain, heart, and general wellness. The capsules are pure, without the risk of the toxins that typically come in fish oil, such as mercury, PCB’s, or dioxins. They’re also sustainable and much fresher, since they’re derived using a natural and simple process. Ingredients include algae oil from schizochytrium sp., glycerol, corn starch, carrageenan, sunflower oil, rosemary extract, antioxidants, and acidity regulator. In fact, Testa offers four times more antioxidants than other omega 3 brands, and it doesn’t use any colorants such as caramel.
- Contains four times more antioxidants
- 125 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per serving
- Pure, sustainable, vegan capsules that don’t contain any colorants
- Includes corn starch, so this supplement is not GMO free
- Capsules begin to discolor before their expiration date
Conclusion & What is the Best Vegan Omega 3 Supplement
Omega 3s are essential for everyone, no matter your diet, but they’re important for vegans in particular. While it’s possible to get omega 3 acids from nuts and seeds, which are vegan friendly, there are three different kinds of omega 3s, and since vegans have to cut out fish and other seafood from their diet, chances are you’re deficient in the two most important kinds: EPA and DHA. Getting DHA and EPA fatty acids can support your eye health, heart health, and brain health. Vegans need to be careful to invest in supplements that use algae oil, not fish oil, and which are truly vegan and of high quality.
It’s best to also find products that are potent in both EPA and DHA, so you get everything you need from a single supplement. Keep in mind that packaging and marketing can be misleading, and pay attention to product reviews: even though some supplements are derived from algae, they may still have a fishy smell and/or taste. This might be difficult for vegans to stomach. If you’d like to avoid this, look for omega 3 supplements that are easy to consume and don’t have this fishy association.
Check out our favorite, Ora Organic Vegan Omega-3 Spray (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE).